A Successful Nesting Season!

A Successful Nesting Season!

Monday, May 24, 2010

May 24, 2010


When the second graders went out this morning at 8:30 am, there was quite a surprise waiting for them during the nest check! Yes, we had additional sparrow nests, but when we looked in the purple martin nest...the female momma martin was sitting with her eggs! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SIGHT! We captured a picture and then raised the house. She stayed in there for quite awhile and even had a visit from the male martin who brought her a leaf to cover the eggs. We are not sure if there are 4 eggs, but we plan on checking later to see!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I think that I am very lucky to be in 2nd grade this year because it is the first year in medow wood history that the Purple Martins actully stayed,witch is sooooo cool.

    Sarah Ritchie Miss Maddox 2nd grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool that we have purplemartins and eggs!I love theses birds!This is a big chance to see them in person.I hope we get more eggs or another nest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it is so coolthat we could get a picture of the female Purple Martin laying eggs!!!!
    I wish I was in second grade this year!!!!

    ~~libby O'Block third grade

    ReplyDelete